State the main features of the Indian Independence Act, 1947.
The main features of the Indian Independence Act, 1947 were:
- The British rule over India would end with immediate effect.
- An independent dominion of India was made including the United Provinces under the British like Madras Presidency, Carnatic, East Punjab, West Bengal, Assam, etc.
- West Punjab, North-West Frontier Province, Sindh and East Bengal would go to Pakistan.
- The Princely States were given the freedom to decide which dominion to join.
- The dominion of India and Pakistan were granted complete freedom and they became members of British Commonwealth.