Why is cotton textile industry largely concentrated in Gujarat and Maharashtra? Explain any five reasons.
Cotton textile industry largely concentrated in Gujarat and Maharashtra because:
- The moist climate of the area helped in the growth of cotton. So raw cotton was readily available in the area.
- There are ports nearby so the manufactured goods could be easily transported.
- It has large domestic market and both skilled and unskilled labour is readily available.
- It was easy to access the markets for finished goods from here.
- Other supporting industries involved in manufacturing dyes and packaging materials were available in the area.