‘Introduction of railways in India proved to be a blessing in disguise.’ Give three arguments in favour of and three against the statement.
In favour of
- Railways were introduced in India for the benefit of trade.
- People from different parts of India came in close contact.
- This communication brought about an awareness against social evils, need of education and freedom from foreign exploitation.
In against of
- It offended the people of higher castes as people from all castes had to sit together.
- Indians were not allowed to travel in first class. It was reserved for Europeans.
- Railways provided many avenues of profit making for the British.