Describe any five major changes brought about in Delhi by the British before the development of New Delhi.
Five major changes brought about in Delhi by the British before the development of New Delhi are:
- British took over lands, revenue and city administration of Delhi.
- British started acquiring more and more land for troops, camps, churches, hospitals, residences, clubs etc.
- A Town Duties Committee was set-up by the Britishers for the development of the Cantonment, Khyber Pass, the Civil Lines and the Ridge area.
- The canal in Chandni Chowk was filled up and trees were cut to cater to increasing traffic, especially, the trams.
- The most modernised developments of this time were piped water and sewerage of the walled city.