Describe five main causes of the First War of Independence.
Five main causes of the First War of Independence are:
- Doctrine of lapse which snatched the kingdoms of princes without legal heirs was one of the major causes of First War of Independence.
- Economic exploitation of people in the form of taxes and land revenue was another main cause of First War of Independence.
- Interference in the social and religious life of people also made Indians to turn against the British.
- Discrimination in army with Indian sepoys made the sepoys to turn against the British.
- The immediate cause was the introduction of new rifles with a rumor of greased cartridges of fat of cow and pig.