Both manures and fertilisers replenish soil fertility. Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvatages of using them.
Advantage of using manures:
- It is cheap.
- It increases the water-holding capacity of the soil.
- The number of microbes increases in the soil.
- The texture of the soil improves.
Advantage of using fertilisers:
- They are portable and easy to transport.
- They are readily absorbed by the plants.
- They are quick in providing plant nutrients and restoring soil fertility.
- Fertilisers improve and increase the productivity of many crops such as maize, wheat, and rice.
Disadvatages of using manures:
- It is not easy to store and transport.
- Manure provides less nutrient to plants in comparison to fertilizers.
Disadvantages of using fertilisers
- Fertilisers are costly.
- Overuse of fertilisers can change the chemical nature of the soil.