What is a liver? Write its function in detail.
The liver is a vital organ located in the upper right part of the abdomen. Its functions include:
- Metabolism: The liver metabolizes carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, and converts them into usable energy for the body.
- Detoxification: The liver detoxifies harmful substances in the body, including drugs, alcohol, and toxins from the bloodstream.
- Bile production: The liver produces bile, which helps in the digestion and absorption of fats in the small intestine.
- Storage: The liver stores nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, and releases them as needed.
- Regulation: The liver regulates blood glucose levels, blood pressure, and blood clotting.