What are the functions performed by tongue?
- Taste: The tongue has taste buds that can detect different flavors, such as sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami.
- Chewing and Swallowing: The tongue helps move food around in the mouth and mix it with saliva for easier swallowing.
- Speech: The tongue is important for articulating sounds and forming words.
- Cleaning: The tongue helps remove food particles and bacteria from the mouth, contributing to oral hygiene.
- Sensation: The tongue is highly sensitive to touch, temperature, and texture, allowing us to perceive different sensations in the mouth.