Why is soil important?
Here are some of the key importance of soil in points:
- Provides a habitat for plants and microorganisms.
- Supports agriculture by providing nutrients, water, and physical support for crops.
- Helps regulate the Earth’s climate through carbon sequestration and storage.
- Filters and cleans water as it moves through the soil.
- Supports biodiversity by providing a variety of habitats for different species.
- Contains important minerals and nutrients that are essential for human and animal nutrition.
- Serves as a foundation for human infrastructure, such as buildings and roads.
- Plays a crucial role in the carbon cycle and helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.