What are the different layers of the atmosphere?
Here are the layers of the Earth’s atmosphere in brief, listed from the closest to the Earth to the furthest away:
- Troposphere: the lowest layer, where weather occurs and where we live and breathe.
- Stratosphere: contains the ozone layer that protects us from harmful UV radiation.
- Mesosphere: the layer where meteors burn up upon entry into the atmosphere.
- Thermosphere: the layer where the auroras occur and where the International Space Station orbits.
- Exosphere: the outermost layer that gradually fades into space.